If you are looking to give surf fishing a try, or maybe considering adding another rod/reel to your gear, there are some good rod and reel combos matched just for surf fishing. If you’re on a budget, or new to the sport, this can be a great way to get your feet wet, so to speak. 😉
Spinning or Casting Combo?
Best Beginner Combos:
|Surf Fishing Combos:||Daiwa BG Surf Combo||Okuma Tundra Surf Combo||Hurricane Surf Combo|
|Durability||Proven Record of Durability||Great for Price||Good|
|Beginner Friendly?||Easy to Use||Good Beginner set up||Very simple to use|
|Price $||Good for high end features||Best Value for the Money||Very inexpensive|
Surf fishing rod and reel combos come in either Spinning, or bait casting versions. Bait Casting combos are not as numerous or as popular. There are many more surf spinning rod and reel combos available. The popularity of the surf spinning combo is likely related to its ease of use. Beginners will find spinning gear much more user-friendly. They cast long distances with relative ease, and don’t have the backlash issues of a bait casting set up.
Bait casting surf fishing rod and reel combos are available and are a great choice. They are not as beginner friendly, on average will be more expensive, and there are not as many to choose from generally. We will focus therefore on the saltwater spin cast surf fishing rod and reel combo.
Essential Surf Fishing Gear:
- Surf Fishing Rods, surf rods are typically longer and heavier duty than standard rods. – read more.
- Surf fishing Reels,larger and stronger with greater line capacity to handle big fish. – read more.
- Surf fishing Rod and Reel Combos, pre-matched rod and reel set ups for surf fishing – read more.
- Sand Spike Rod holder, holds your rods securely while you wait for that big bite. – read more.
- Surf Fishing Rigs, terminal tackle for fishing the surf. – read more.
- Surf fishing Carts, for beaches that won’t allow vehicles you need a way to carry your gear – read more.
- Rod Racks for Vehicles, carry your rods out of harms way and easy to access- read more.
- Beach Camping Gear, in case you want to fish all night or for several days – read more.
What makes good Surf Fishing Rod and Reel Combos?
We’ve covered what makes a good surf rod previously. You can check out the article “Surf Fishing Rods“.
We also reviewed some very good surf fishing reels recently ” Surf Fishing Reels“. Now we will look at some surf fishing rod and reel combos that are offered.
These combinations are selected by the manufactures to match the rod size and length with an appropriately sized spinning reel.
They are set up for saltwater surf fishing and will be made of corrosion resistant materials, with large line capacities and strong drag systems.
They need to have rods in the 10 – 12 ft range, both for casting distance and to help keep the line up out of the wave action when in the rod holder.
Some Good Surf Fishing Rod and Reel Combos.
There are many good surf spinning combos available. They come in a wide variety of manufactures and price ranges. For the beginner, we will cover some budget friendly options here as well. The higher priced models will have the latest high tech materials and drag components with more ball bearings for smoother operation. Brand name will affect price as well, but in this day and age, even the “Cheap” surf fishing rod and reel combos will do a good job.
Okuma-Tundra combo TU-1002-80 is a 10 foot combo with a sized 80 spinning reel. Has a one ball bearing reel and durable glass fiber rod blank construction. This highly durable spinning combo has aluminum oxide guides, EVA foam grips and reinforced double footed guides.
- 1BB ball bearing drive for smoothness
- Corrosion resistant graphite spool
- Multi-disc oiled-felt drag System
- Multi-disc oiled felt drag system
- Durable glass fiber rod blank construction
- Ceramic guide inserts
- Comfortable EVA foam fore and rear grips
- Rod is 10 foot and 80 size spinning reel holds 260 yards 25 lb test
The PENN Spinfisher V combo uses the Spinfisher V reel with a factory Matched Spinfisher V rods. With a assortment from inshore to boat, there’s something everyone. Featuring our Award winning Spinfisher reels and their water tight design which uses seals in key locations to keep water out, and our powerful slammer drag system, the Spinfisher V combos are complete fish catching package.
Installation Instruction: Kindly hold the upper portion of the reel in place (Rotor and Bail wire assembly) and slowly screw the reel in handle in the opposite direction of the retrieve.This could be clockwise or counter clockwise depending on the side you are installing the left or right hand side. By holding the upper section of the reel in place this will allow the handle threads to catch
- Line, 5BB + 1RB, 6.2: 1, alum spool, 390/4, 250/6, 210/8, 7′
- Watertight spinning reel performs reliably in saltwater and sand environments
- Durable construction with full metal body, sideplate, and rotor and heavy-duty aluminum bail wire
- Sealed HT-100 Slammer drag system provides robust, silky-smooth drag, while friction trip ramp prevents premature bail trip when casting
- Fluid cranking with 5 shielded stainless steel ball bearings and instant anti-reverse bearing
- Durable, ultra sensitive rod with tubular glass blank construction and stainless steel guides with aluminum oxide inserts
- EVA grips (split EVA grips on surf models)
- Gyro spin balanced rotor
- Smooth ball bearing drive
- Aluminum oxide guides
The PENN Pursuit III Spinning Reel and Fishing Rod Combo is great for inshore, boat, and surf fishing. This combo combines the Pursuit III spinning reel and a graphite composite rod for an affordable and durable fish-taming set-up. The reel features an ultra lightweight, corrosion-resistant graphite body, and houses our powerful HT-100 drag system, making the Pursuit III a great value for the money for saltwater anglers.
The shielded stainless-steel ball bearings ensure smooth operation and the line capacity rings let you know how much line you have out. The smooth and lightweight Pursuit III is a dependable reel, making it an ideal choice for the beginning saltwater angler.
- HT-100 carbon fiber drag washers
- Lightweight and corrosion-resistant graphite body
- 4+1 stainless steel bearing system
Get the most bang for your Buck…Eagle Claw spinning combos! Surf Beast 10′ Spinning combo rod and reel features: – Each Eagle Claw Specialty rod has been designed with years of experience to target a specific fishing technique or species – actions are custom tailored to provide ease of use and the high performance that anglers have come to expect from Eagle Claw.
Rods feature durable EVA foam handles for all day fishing comfort and a secure grip, aluminum oxide guides and graphite reel seats – downrigger rods feature a slick butt to make removal from rod holders quick and easy – combos feature designed reels that are made with durability and performance in mind. Most reels come pre-spooled with the right line for the technique and species of fish that they have been designed to target
- 2 Piece Glass Blank
- Aluminum Oxide Guides
- 5 guides plus tip
- Medium Heavy Action
- Size 50 reel prespooled with line
Shakespear Ugly Stik Big Water Spinning Combo
Defined by toughness and dependability, the Bigwater series features Ugly Tuff guides that provide excellent corrosion resistance and the Ugly Stik Clear Tip design. Anglers around the world choose Ugly Stik Bigwater rods to haul in their trophy fish.
- Ugly Stik Clear Tip design for extra strength
- Ugly Tech construction with a combination of Graphite and fiberglass to create a strong, yet sensitive rod
- Ugly Tuff one piece double-footed stainless steel guides provide maximum durability and eliminate insert pop-outs
- Durable EVA grips
- Graphite spinning reel with oversized handle knob
- ABS Aluminum Spool
- Twist Buster II
- Aluminum Body
- 6 + 1 Bearing, Spinning, 10′, 2 Piece, Medium Heavy
Rugged aluminum construction reel with 6 stainless ball bearings and Graphite Composite Rod with EVA Foam grips.
Hurricane offers a broad selection of rods, reels, combos, tackle and accessories that saltwater anglers turn to for high-quality, great performance, and exceptional value. We combine high-end technology and countless hours of on-water experience to meet the specific needs of the inshore, back country, offshore and Blue water anglers.
- Fiberglass rod blank; Ceramic guides
- Graphite reel seat; EVA handle
- Bearing drive; Graphite spool
- Pre-spooled 20 lb. mono; T-grip handle
- Rod size: 12′; Pieces: 2; Action: Medium/Heavy; Line weight: 20-40 lb.; Lure weight: 1.5 – 4 oz.; Reel size: 70; Line capacity: 15/304, 20/195, 30/135
How to Choose?
What you choose will depend on what fish you’re targeting, what are the surf conditions you’ll be facing and of course what will your budget allow:). Surf fishing rod and reel combos are available at most tackle shops and online stores.
If you’re fortunate enough to live close to the coast, you should visit some local tackle shops. You can actually get your hands on the rods and reels and try them out for yourself. See how they feel, how smooth are the reels, how heavy, what quality etc. Plus, at a local tackle shop you can get some good advice and experience from local people that use the rods and reels themselves int the local conditions.
You may pay a few dollars more than you would online, but you won’t know what you’ve bought until the delivery comes.
There are some very good online tackle suppliers, if your local tackle shop doesn’t carry saltwater surf fishing gear.
Offshoreangler.com, is the saltwater division of bass pro shops, they have a good selection of Surf Fishing Gear. Tackle Direct (tackledirect.com) is a very good tackle suppler for everything from Perch to Marlin and has some very good surf fishing rod and reel combos at great prices.
Breakaway USA (breakawaytackleusa.com) is a great option that is dedicated to surf fishing and casting. Mr. Nick Meyer of Breakaway USA, has decades of experience fishing the beach front and is a long distance casting instructor ans well. His website has a ton of free videos on surf fishing gear, techniques and casting . Nick can hook you up with some great surf fishing rod and reel combos.
Pick One and Go Fishing!
There is no wrong choice. It’s an individual decision and tackle manufactures have produced some really good equipment at reasonable prices. Surf Fishing doesn’t have to break the bank. There are higher priced options however. They will have all the latest bells and whistles, technologies, high tech materials, well know brand name and lots of advertising dollars behind them. If that’s what you like, by all means buy it. You’ll get some great equipment.
As always, be safe, enjoy the journey, please leave the beach cleaner than you found it. Till next time, good luck and good fishing.